Thursday, July 26, 2012

definitive moments

There's a new high school not that far from my house, and incidentally a private school across the street that is building their new high school buildings...
Driving by the new school reminded me of my first year of high school. I was so overwhelmed by the huge building. I remember having to rationalize myself through the size of it: the right side is a HUGE chunk of gyms and the cafeteria; the left side is the music dept and theatre (which I was surely to know well, in those days). So, all I had left was two stories of five hallways: A, B, C, D, F. I walked my path to and from my locker to my classrooms so many times that orientation day. I was not going to be the lone ranger on campus who got lost in the vast space of that building. 
HAH - who was I kidding? The hallways were more like Hotlanta Rush Hour (I mean I graduated with 782  people in my class -- on a rainy day so it was in the gymnasium *insert promotional ad for Old Spice here*) , with a bunch of teenage hormones, gossip, squeals, and 2000+ awkward sized backpacks. I gotta grab that vibe now - I didn't like it then....




Just got me reflecting on definitive moments. Have you had them? 


First days at a new school. 
Auditions for plays. 
Try outs for the soccer team. 
Cheerleading camp (this is *NOT* true to life, nope. I did *NOT* try cheerleading camp when I was 8 with my red and black pom poms in my short, puffy, curly hair. Definitely not.) 
Buying a new house. 
An engagement proposal. 
A driver's license. 
Moving to a new state. 
Acceptance into an internship. 
Acceptance into graduate school. 
Break-ups. 
Sickness. 
Restoration to health. 
Planting a church. 
Difficult decisions made easier. 
Difficult decisions remaining difficult. 
Rock Concerts. 
First time camping. 
First time sleeping over at someone's house. 
First time seeing a Broadway play. 
Smiles and laughter with family.
Painting a painting. 
Buying a car (my first car that I bought was a $1000 Mercury Sable, yeah that is classic...)


Moments matter. 
Celebrate. 
Mourn. 
Rejoice. 
Laugh. 
Remember and Recall. 
our lives are filled with definitive moments.


I don't think I got lost on the first day of high school. But I do remember that my locker was super far away from my seventh period classroom and I definitely got stuck in the people traffic nearly missed that big yellow bus that would carry me home...

No comments: