Tuesday, July 21, 2009

If I were to talk to Last Year's Me, what would I say?

I may write a book of this title. I have always wondered what I could write a book about...maybe this topic is it. It includes spiritual growth, the adventure of life, hilarity, observation, authenticity, and transformation. I have no idea how this will form, but just a thought.

But for now, if I were to talk to last year's me, what would I say:
**Be a wiser steward with your money. You may not be frivolous, but track your patterns, you won't be pleased. Don't hide or deny that you need to implement some structure.
**You are 100% needy, 100% of the time. STOP avoiding this truth. STOP worrying that someone will catch on. They see it. They know. Admitting that you are needy is actually freeing, because you no longer worry that someone will find you out. You are human, you have needs: relational, spiritual, professional, and mental.
**Trust God with who you really are. Sin, faults, hopes, dreams, and ideas of yours do not surprise God. It isn't brand new information to Him. He's forgiven your sins and He is restoring them into maturity.
**Slow down. Pray more about decisions - pray more about all decisions. Don't overlook the details that can be covered and then revealed in prayer.
**Privacy, space, and comfort are luxuries and not things you are entitled to. You don't act like it, but don't cling to having them. These items are not that important. You'll be surprised about how much you can live without.
**Be vulnerable. Risk friends not being willing to stand with you to hold your arms up. But share, open, and be needy. God's Body of Believers are supposed to be both transparent and grace-filled.
**Job descriptions, leadership, purpose, vision, change, and action cannot be idols. Don't get lost in thinking about those more than you think about God's Kingdom.
**Emotions aren't truth. Jesus is the WAY, the TRUTH, the LIFE. Relying on emotions for decision making is not appropriate. Pray more. Get more wisdom. And move intelligently. Emotions aren't truth.
**Emotions aren't truth. When you feel lonely, forgotten, sad, overweight, angry, dejected, inferior - remember that emotions aren't truth.
**Give yourself a break; humility and patience will probably take a lifetime to resolve and mature in you.

As you can probably sense, God's been workin' on me quite a bit. It's a beautiful angst. But this year's me is more balanced and living in truth more than last year's me.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Kristine, I stumbled upon your blog from Emily Steffen's twitter... long rabbit trail. I really enjoyed reading your blog--especially about being the 100% needy 100% of the time... Sounds like last year's you knew what was going on.

I hope you don't mind that I subscribe to your blog... (would that be okay?)

Hannah