Confession - I
don't understand what it means: "mystery of our faith." What
is the mystery?
1 Timothy 3:9 (NASB)
“but holding to the
mystery of the faith with a clear conscience.”
Most of the time
in the Greek text, it means "secret, not yet revealed." (Thank you blueletterbible.com Concordance). Okay, yes, there are a LOT of things
about the Trinity, God’s Kingdom, and His ways that are not blatantly obvious.
However, it’s not unclear that He is who He says He is and He has always done
what He said He would do. He cannot lie (Titus 1:2, 2 Timothy 2:13).
Christ has
died.
Christ is
risen.
Christ will come
again.
what is the
mystery about that?
Is the mystery
that we don’t know when he will come, because that hasn’t been revealed?
Is the mystery in
the responding to the symbolic meal of The Last Supper? Is the mystery that
Christ asks us to partake of his body and his blood?
Thus, the corresponding
text in the Roman Canon or First Eucharistic Prayer is now as follows:
Text (in Latin)
Simili modo postquam
cenatum est,
accipiens et hunc
praeclarum calicem
in sanctas ac
venerabiles manus suas,
item tibi gratias agens
benedixit,
deditque discipulis
suis, dicens:
Accipite, et bibite ex
eo omnes:
hic est enim calix
Sanguinis mei
novi et aeterni
testamenti,
qui pro vobis et pro
multis effundetur
in remissionem
peccatorum.
Hoc facite in meam
commemorationem.
Mysterium fidei.
Official English
translation
In a similar way, when
supper was ended,
he took this precious
chalice
in his holy and
venerable hands,
and once more giving
you thanks, he said the blessing
and gave the cup to his
disciples, saying:
Take this, all of you,
and drink from it,
for this is the chalice
of my Blood,
the Blood of the new
and eternal covenant,
which will be poured
out for you and for many
for the forgiveness of
sins.
Do this in memory of
me.
The mystery of faith.
(thank you Wikipedia.com)
But, see, I am
still confused, because this isn’t a mystery. There is no secret here. We
partake of the items that the Lord presents – we receive His Life and His
Death, and we receive forgiveness of sins. That isn’t a mystery, so it seems to
me. It is a curious thing, perhaps, but the solution is obvious.
Oftentimes, the
gap in a mystery is that one may not be able to find the solution. This is not
the case here. We have the solution, in Person form, in active form, and in the
Written Word.
Romans 16:25-26 (NASB)
“Now to Him who is able to
establish you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ,
according to the revelation of the mystery which has been kept secret for long
ages past, but now is manifested, and by the Scriptures of the
prophets, according to the commandment of the eternal God, has been made known
to all the nations, leading to obedience of faith”
I am literally
wrestling this out as I type, because I am genuinely curious. What is the mystery? I am all over the web – Anglican church
websites, Episcopal church websites, Wikipedia, Google Translate, The Book of
Common Prayer; I have stacks of books, and commentaries. Am I over thinking
this? I am curious, and I am fascinated.
Is faith simple
and logical? Not really. Does it make sense that an omnipotent and omnipresent
being would find it worthwhile to enter into humanity, motivated by love (coming from seemingly nowhere, for no good
reason), to offer His body and His blood for others? Not really. Is it
sometimes overwhelming to process or maybe even slightly confusing. Yes, sure,
I can go there. But I still don’t see the mystery, because there is no lack.
Period. And there is no lack of solution by the Lord. All has been taken care
of, all has been redeemed, and all things fall under the sovereignty of the
Uncreated One (Romans 11:36).
Isaiah 55:8-9 (ESV)
“For my thoughts are not
your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. For as the
heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your
ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.
1 Corinthians 14:33 (ESV)
“For God is not a God of
confusion but of peace.”
Well, for today,
I don’t have an answer about what the mystery is (do you?!), but I do have
greater zeal and passion for the Eucharist Supper (well, I have recently grown fascinated by liturgy, sacred remembrances,
and reverence in disciplines with the Lord). I am not confounded, only
encouraged that Our God and Our Savior is real, present, active, faithful, and
true. I know Him personally. I know the One who gave me the bread of life and the blood of sacrifice, because He blessed me with Himself.
Confession - I
don't understand what it means: "mystery of our faith." What
is the mystery?
1 Timothy 3:9 (NASB)
“but holding to the
mystery of the faith with a clear conscience.”
Most of the time
in the Greek text, it means "secret, not yet revealed." (Thank you blueletterbible.com Concordance). Okay, yes, there are a LOT of things
about the Trinity, God’s Kingdom, and His ways that are not blatantly obvious.
However, it’s not unclear that He is who He says He is and He has always done
what He said He would do. He cannot lie (Titus 1:2, 2 Timothy 2:13).
Christ has
died.
Christ is
risen.
Christ will come
again.
what is the
mystery about that?
Is the mystery
that we don’t know when he will come, because that hasn’t been revealed?
Is the mystery in
the responding to the symbolic meal of The Last Supper? Is the mystery that
Christ asks us to partake of his body and his blood?
Thus, the corresponding
text in the Roman Canon or First Eucharistic Prayer is now as follows:
Text (in Latin)
Simili modo postquam
cenatum est,
accipiens et hunc
praeclarum calicem
in sanctas ac
venerabiles manus suas,
item tibi gratias agens
benedixit,
deditque discipulis
suis, dicens:
Accipite, et bibite ex
eo omnes:
hic est enim calix
Sanguinis mei
novi et aeterni
testamenti,
qui pro vobis et pro
multis effundetur
in remissionem
peccatorum.
Hoc facite in meam
commemorationem.
Mysterium fidei.
|
Official English
translation
In a similar way, when
supper was ended,
he took this precious
chalice
in his holy and
venerable hands,
and once more giving
you thanks, he said the blessing
and gave the cup to his
disciples, saying:
Take this, all of you,
and drink from it,
for this is the chalice
of my Blood,
the Blood of the new
and eternal covenant,
which will be poured
out for you and for many
for the forgiveness of
sins.
Do this in memory of
me.
The mystery of faith.
|
(thank you Wikipedia.com)
But, see, I am
still confused, because this isn’t a mystery. There is no secret here. We
partake of the items that the Lord presents – we receive His Life and His
Death, and we receive forgiveness of sins. That isn’t a mystery, so it seems to
me. It is a curious thing, perhaps, but the solution is obvious.
Oftentimes, the
gap in a mystery is that one may not be able to find the solution. This is not
the case here. We have the solution, in Person form, in active form, and in the
Written Word.
Romans 16:25-26 (NASB)
“Now to Him who is able to
establish you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ,
according to the revelation of the mystery which has been kept secret for long
ages past, but now is manifested, and by the Scriptures of the
prophets, according to the commandment of the eternal God, has been made known
to all the nations, leading to obedience of faith”
I am literally
wrestling this out as I type, because I am genuinely curious. What is the mystery? I am all over the web – Anglican church
websites, Episcopal church websites, Wikipedia, Google Translate, The Book of
Common Prayer; I have stacks of books, and commentaries. Am I over thinking
this? I am curious, and I am fascinated.
Is faith simple
and logical? Not really. Does it make sense that an omnipotent and omnipresent
being would find it worthwhile to enter into humanity, motivated by love (coming from seemingly nowhere, for no good
reason), to offer His body and His blood for others? Not really. Is it
sometimes overwhelming to process or maybe even slightly confusing. Yes, sure,
I can go there. But I still don’t see the mystery, because there is no lack.
Period. And there is no lack of solution by the Lord. All has been taken care
of, all has been redeemed, and all things fall under the sovereignty of the
Uncreated One (Romans 11:36).
Isaiah 55:8-9 (ESV)
“For my thoughts are not
your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. For as the
heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your
ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.
1 Corinthians 14:33 (ESV)
“For God is not a God of
confusion but of peace.”
Well, for today,
I don’t have an answer about what the mystery is (do you?!), but I do have
greater zeal and passion for the Eucharist Supper (well, I have recently grown fascinated by liturgy, sacred remembrances,
and reverence in disciplines with the Lord). I am not confounded, only
encouraged that Our God and Our Savior is real, present, active, faithful, and
true. I know Him personally. I know the One who gave me the bread of life and the blood of sacrifice, because He blessed me with Himself.
No comments:
Post a Comment