Tuesday, October 23, 2012

help me in my unbelief


Mark 9:24
“Immediately the father of the child cried out and said, “I believe; help my unbelief!”

This may be one of the most profound, yet simple prayers cried out of a man to the Lord, within the New Testament. 

“I believe, but oh Help me when I don’t”

How often can I relate to this!? WOW. I know that I know that I know that I know, but I feel or I doubt, or I wrestle. This prayer gives me consolation and an equipping that a man who made it into a story of Christ, and even Paul himself in Romans 7, writes of doing the things we most don’t desire to do.
But believe I want to, most of all. Oh, I can feel how that changes, well just about everything.

A lack of belief is not the kind of lack of salvation belief, but the kind of belief that doubt, shifts, remains unfaithful, and is un-steadied. It’s weak.

As someone who has a particular struggle with bouts of anxiety (but PRAISE GOD for incredible healing that has occurred over the years)… I sometimes find myself in a less-than-triumphant stance towards the world around me. Anxiety attempts to neutralize the confidence I have, the hope I have. It shakes the belief and mixes in doubt. Sure, that concoction won’t satisfy and isn’t savory, but sometimes it’s like sipping Kool Aid. I just partake, as my defenses are down.

I resonate with a man who cried out and exclaimed in confident faith that he believed! I resonate with a man who, in the SAME breath, beckoned for God to help, aid, strengthen him when he doubts. (See Ephesians 6:16 for Truth over this Lie).
I suspect that this man knew that any measure of increase in belief would only magnify his daily and life experience with the Messiah. I’d like that too.

Though difficult, when anxiety creeps in, I often ask of the Lord to speak over me and with clarity what I am supposed to cling to. I am reminded that He sings over me. SO I have a question: What song does the Lord sing over you (Zephaniah 3:17) and remind you of his faithfulness?

The words of this song (almost entirely Scripture-I love when songs sung are Scripture quotes) I think are the theme of a message the Lord says unto me, His Daughter, one he holds close to his heart (Isaiah 40:11)…just close your eyes and listen to the words.


No comments: