Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Touch



1 John 1:1 (ESV)
The Word of Life
“That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we looked upon and have touched with our hands, concerning the word of life—“

I didn’t intend to write subsequent posts in reference to the five senses when I began a few days ago…but I have been a bit drawn into the notion of how our journey’s with the Lord actively beckon the five senses within us.

And while a few different images come to mind in regards to the Touch of the Lord – healing, spitty-mud, the hem of the garment, leprosy to healthy skin… the image I am not able to forgo when I think about the arm of the Lord is: “washing of water with the Word” (Ephesians 5:26).

Washing. Cleansing.

Water. What significance as we move from death to life – through the power of Baptism, just like Christ did (Romans 6).

Word. Truth!

I resonate with the powerful imagery of Truth as a deluge free-falling over each of us as we are cleansed.

Isaiah 1:18
“Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord:
though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow;
though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool.

Taken further, the verse of Ephesians 5:26 speaks of a husband’s role in the life of his wife (yes, I heard myself type this and I chose to keep the rhyming scheme). The Lord is our Bridegroom -- He fashions and forms a washing touch that purifies us by His Word.

The arm of the Lord extends into the recesses and peaks of our lives, it’s so so true.

Song of Solomon 8:5-6
“Who is that coming up from the wilderness,
    leaning on her beloved? …. Set me as a seal upon your heart….”



No comments: