"Let us know; let us press on to know the LORD; his going out is sure as the dawn; he will come to us as the showers, as the spring rains that water the earth." Hosea 6:3
Rivers of Living Water :: "On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and cried out, "If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, 'Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'" Now this he said about the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were to receive, for as yet the Spirit had not been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified." John 7:37-39
"And on the banks, on both sides of the river, there will grow all kinds of trees for food. Their leaves will not wither, nor their fruit fail, but they will bear fresh fruit every month, because the water for them flows from the sanctuary. Their fruit will be for food, and their leaves for healing." Ezekiel 47:12
"Jesus said to her,"Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." John 4:13-14
Have you ever noticed that Scripture references to water are about moving water. I don't read many Scriptures that talk about a lake, or stagnant pools of water; granted, I am not a Biblical expert - ones who reads Scripture, YES! And if there is a stagnant pool of water, it's probably not a place that I want to be associated with.
Consider the Dead Sea:: It's salty and doesn't flow anywhere; can anything live there? No. It holds, like a tank, the water that sits in it. I even wonder, if over time, due to stagnation, the water gets more and more toxic and filthy. Sure, the Great Mississippi River gets a bit murky, or a lot-bit murky, but it's moving. It's movement generates life.
What does flowing water (Streams, rivers, flowing) give you that reservoirs (lake) of water don't give? Movement, Rhythm, Life, Healing, Cleansing. Sure, this is my theory, but follow me here for even a moment.
Why would God give us a picture of water? I think it might be closely tied to the livelihood that we gain from the nutrients. The vitamins & refreshment in water, which we cannot live without for more than three days, grant us the ability to move, breath, and thrive. Water, which brings cleansing of toxins in our body, it also brings regeneration. Moving Water in the Bible? When I think of it, I do read about cleansing (baptism), economy (commerce, fishing, and travel), obedience & strength (Noah and the Ark, or Jonah & Ninevah-lack of obedience @ first, there), the Throne of God (Ezekiel 47), Fountains and Streams (Ps 87:7, Jeremiah 17:7-8), and a God who carries us through (Isaiah 43:1-3).
In fact, when we consider our obedience to God and His callings for us, We ask God "Fill Us Up" - this is movement. We pray for healing rain, we ask for flowing Strength to pass through our lives (Isaiah 43), & we feel the pleasure of spring rains (Hosea 6:3).
What's the point? I am simply communicating out what I sense and wonder and feel about the power, symbol, and beauty of water throughout the Bible. I know that the refreshment I feel when rain tickles my nose, or water gushes through my toes in a creek, and the freshness of a God who asks me to take a risk with Him, while He brings glory through His Healing Movement.
I wanna get caught up in it...the current. the flow. the waters. I wanna soak up His waterfalls, His rain, His Streams, His Fountains. He is my Living Water.
No comments:
Post a Comment