Thursday, August 25, 2011

land of promise.

"Now there was no water for the congregation. And they assembled themselves together against Moses and against Aaron." Numbers 20:2


Moses and Aaron had a predicament. There were thousands of people and there wasn't water for them to drink. In fact, the people started grumbling as if life was better in Egypt where there was slavery. 

"And why have you made us come up out of Egypt to bring us to this evil place?" Numbers 20:5

If I am Moses, I am thinking....'I dunno, this wasn't the plan, until God became so obvious to me that I HAD to lead us all out'...The man was simply searching to obey God, to follow Him in life. 

"And the glory of the LORD appeared to them, and the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, "Take the staff, and assemble the congregation, you and Aaron your brother, and tell the rock before their eyes to yield its water. So you shall bring water out of the rock for them and give drink to the congregation and their cattle." And Moses took the staff from before the LORD, as he commanded him." Numbers 20:6-9

Again Moses obeyed the Lord. 
sortof.

"Then Moses and Aaron gathered the assembly together before the rock, and he said to them, "Hear now, you rebels: shall we bring water for you out of this rock?" And Moses lifted up his hand and struck the rock with his staff twice, and water came out abundantly, and the congregation drank, and their livestock. And the LORD said to Moses and Aaron, "Because you did not believe in me, to uphold me as holy in the eyes of the people of Israel, therefore you shall not bring this assembly into the land that I have given them." Numbers 20:10-12

Moses was grasping a promise - the Promised Land. Originally, Moses didn't want to lead, he asked for a different mission. Moses didn't exactly know how to take millions of people from one area to another, over seas, and through the mountainous terrain. But he knew what reward was coming. The Promised Land, and it flowed with Milk and Honey, it was beautiful. An image of peace, respite, and a reward for the 40 years of wandering. 

How true is that for me? Certainly not all the time, so I don't want to over-dramatize this, but often, I am so excited about the rewards or benefits of something that I forget the worth of the thing.  College - I want the degree, but I don't want the process. A Healthy heart - but I don't like to exercise (all too true in my life these days - God and I are in good talks about this one!). A garden, but I don't want to till and turn over the soil. I want to be a gourmet chef, but don't want to learn how to measure ingredients. I want to go sky-diving but not take risks. The list could go on... 


"Then Moses went up from the plains of Moab to Mount Nebo, to the top of Pisgah, which is opposite Jericho. And the LORD showed him all the land, Gilead as far as Dan, all Naphtali, the land of Ephraim and Manasseh, all the land of Judah as far as the western sea, the Negeb, and the Plain, that is, the Valley of Jericho the city of palm trees, as far as Zoar. And the LORD said to him, "This is the land of which I swore to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, 'I will give it to your offspring.' I have let you see it with your eyes, but you shall not go over there." So Moses the servant of the LORD died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the LORD" Deuteronomy 34:1-5

Do you see it? Do you read the elevated perspective?
It's the perspective that causes me to enjoy obedience for today, the green grass on this side.
Do you see it there?
Moses went up the Mountain and the LORD SHOWED HIM around. Moses got a visual tour of the Land of Promise and one-on-one quality time with God. No, he couldn't go in, but God gave him a bird's eye view of the beauty. Because God was so impassioned about Moses' heart that He needed Moses to know that he, GOD, WAS the Promised Land.

The Presence of God is the Promised Land. 
Jesus is the gift. Not simply eternal life or the benefits of redemption.
The Spirit of God is the Promised Land - the very Breath that Gives Life.

When my attention was drawn to this the other day, I wept. Tears of beauty and Tears of rejoicing, because I am starting to get it, and experience it. 
God.
Begins and Ends with God.
my God and His presence with me and in me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes. Yes God!
Thank you for letting him write this through you