Luke 2:8-11 (ESV)
The Shepherds and the Angels
"And in the same region there were shepherds out in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And an angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were filled with great fear. And the angel said to them, “Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord."
Shepherds had a difficult job - their jobs and their livelihood depend on their attentiveness to the animals under their care. Without a shepherd, the herds would have wandered away from safety.
This tender mercy and intentional care even surpassed typical "work" hours and into the night. While exhausting, each shepherd is to take into account the greater good of the herds, the families, and the community.
What are you watching over?
A vision? A bank account? A child? A ministry? A family? A career?
Are you keeping attentive and intentional?
As Christ Followers, I believe that each of us has a specific part (great or small) to play as a shepherd, a care-taker, with our own specific role within our community.
This Advent season, I am taking notes from the shepherds - remaining still enough to pour into my environment right where I am; and intentional enough to hear, receive, and move when the Angels sing and my Abba Father speaks.
Jeremiah 3:15
“‘And I will give you shepherds after my own heart, who will feed you with knowledge and understanding.
Ezekiel 34:7
“Therefore, you shepherds, hear the word of the Lord:"
No comments:
Post a Comment