Friday, November 28, 2008

Black Friday

I am in a Red Roof Inn watching THE POLAR EXPRESS. My dad is sleeping already and my sister is talking on the phone with her boyfriend, Bob. My mom is playing solitaire. I am here. Thinking about this day. 

It started with some great hugs from Alexa. I don't think I could love that girl more if I tried. She is so joyful. And those cheeks are so kissable. She calls out, "Chchine!!!!!! Wha are yooo?" She is my shadow. Matteo used to be that way, but now, he plays hard to get with my love. :) We had a great Thanksgiving yesterday and then I left from there this morning. 

I had a 3 hour drive from Dawsonville to Gatlinburg, TN. I had the distinct privilege of driving through the NOrth Georgia Mountains, along the Appalachian Trail, and through the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. WOW. It is very hard to drive through such beauty and gawk @ it. But I managed to avoid all car accidents even though my head was practically hanging out the window. The Smokey Mountains are so incredibly beautiful. So beautiful - you can see mountain tops beyond the mountain tops. There are trees as far as the eye can see. There was a special sunny haze that coated the distance. And I could have stared for hours. It was stunning. How could you NOT believe in the God of the universe? I say that with awe - not disdain - it's just that when I think about the size and magnitude of the hills and the beauty of it all I cannot help but worship our Heavenly Father. 

Gatlinburg on the other hand. Whoa. Not that great. I mean it was great to unite with my parents and my sister. But, this town is less than thrilling. It's also a total tourist town - so this is a town of "dumb" attractions (my interpretation). 

On this Black Friday I find my thoughts moving to those that I recently met in Kenya. They have nothing. And here we are on Black Friday (practically a federal holiday) and tons of people shopped and shopped and bought and bought things that they probably didn't need. In no way am I making a judgment for or against shopping - but when I think about the EXCESS that I have consistently seen since I have been home, I get sad. The excess and the expense and the desire we have for things that cannot fill the voids in our hearts. I am brought to a lack of words and a lack of wisdom. What is the answer - I don't know. 

What I do know is that I had a phenomenal Thanksgiving. I was with special people. I am with special people now. And I spoke with special people today. And I have special people in my prayers. May you be blessed and rejoice in His blessings too! 

No comments: