Thursday, April 16, 2009

Do You Know Gideon?

How familiar are you with a little dude in the B-I-B-L-E, named Gideon? His story is found in the Old Testament book of Judges. The story that inspires me and that I am referring to begins in Judges 6. 

God calls Gideon; and per usual for our heroes of the faith, Gideon dislikes the call. He rationalizes and whines and asks for a different task. SIDE NOTE: ever been asked or prompted to do something that you didn't want to do? In fact, He puts God to the test with a fleece. One night Gideon wants it soaked, the next dry. Particular young man, eh?  ANYWAY.... Finally Gideon gets on board the God-Ship. God asks Gideon to lead the army that will defeat the Midianites. The Midianites are big dudes and their reputation preceded them. SIDE NOTE: it's "fabulous" when you heed the call and then get more information about it....namely more reasons to avoid it. Gideon gathers an army of folks: picture the Cleaver's, the Beverly Hillbillies, and then a few pro-boxers and pro-wrestlers here and there. A diverse crowd. Well, God steps in and strips Gideon of some of that army by asking that he only KEEP a portion of them - the men who were NOT afraid. So, a WHOLE BUNCH of "warriors" left and went home to their families and their recliners. A bit of time goes by, and then AGAIN God says to Gideon that He must not take the men he has in his camp. All of the men who bent down like a dog to drink from an oasis were sent home. And 300 were left. SIDE NOTE: wondering why this particular task at hand was a deciding factor - interesting imagery, drinking like a dog...

Well,  A SWORD FOR THE LORD. Gideon was inspired by a dream to GO fight the Midianites and they used "trumpets" to scare and surprise the Midianite camp. Chaos ensued. 300 men DID defeat the Midianites. 

Fabulous. This story is fascinating, because God defies logic. God strips away Gideon's sense of control, understanding, logic, and confidence. Certainly not to make him feel sheepish or lesser...but to remind gideon and those of us who hear the story that GOD IS IN CONTROL. 

I relate to being stripped of things: space, car, computer, job, money.....I am earning a sheepish income as a nanny - a far cry from some of the other leadership endeavors that I have done. I have the privilege of living with a generous family - but a far cry from the one bedroom apartment I had to myself. My computer has recently crashed and it may be alsdkfjoaidf;aljf. My car....oh sigh, needs more repairs. Money...well, we're all feeling that pull, I suppose. 

It's such a journey to be stripped of what it is that we rely on. I don't regret my choices or feel ungrateful for the blessings of His People...but there are days where I feel hopeless about the promise of a preferred future. There are moments where I forget where God has brought me. And times when I forget the places that God has rescued His people from. It's a journey and an adventure. He is good. Truly, I hope that we all allow opportunity fall into our lap. And honestly, not just the kind of opportunity that promotes success, but the kind of opportunity where humility is forced, gratitude is heightened, and faith is the only sure thing. 

No comments: