Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Funny Commentary and a Fabulous Book

"Speak Speak, there is a car turning down the road" ***Jaycee telling me a secret.

"Chicken Mud" ***Jaycee laughing and repeating something she heard in a movie today.

"Scooby needs a scooby snack" ***Jaycee wanting to feed her 3foot tall inflatable Scooby Doo.

"Well, that must be barasmend" ***Benjamin about something that Cate did - thinking it was embarassing.

"What you talkin' bout Willy?" ***Benjamin repeating a line he mimicked a lot, but this time with a new twist.

"Wasn't that a great night of sleep?" ***Benjamin to Kristin after a long night of horrible dreams that kept Kristin awake.

"We're going to speak in a language with no words: just finger snaps and tongue clicks." ***Me to the kids in the car after going to Ben and Jerry's Free Ice Cream Cone Day

"Let me get the door for you" ***Jaycee helping me as I am on my way out

"Welcome to Ben and Jerry's" ***The very kind man who welcomed me to Ben and Jerry's tonight for Free Cone Day.


I am not getting paid to say this, but you must know how incredibly fantastic Andy Stanley's new book, "THE PRINCIPLE OF THE PATH" is. WOW. The premise of the book is that our direction, not intention, determine our destination. AND, our attention determines our direction. So true and truly getting me to think about what stories I want to tell when I reach my "end destination." What kind of a legacy do I want to have? What wake am I leaving behind me? What ministry will I have had? What did I reveal to be my priority? Who did I love? Did I tell them? Was I a good mommy (presuming I ever get there)? Was I a servant? How did I love and serve my husband (presuming I get there)? How did I manage my finances? What risks did I take? What mistakes did I learn from? Who did I have praying for me? Did I reach out when I needed a shoulder to cry on?

Destinations take intentionality: to avoid the false things that grab our attention, to endure the bumps on the journey, being aware of what attracts our attention, gathering wisdom from those further down the road. Our attention is easily pulled, so what have I done to ensure that my attention is focused on right things. This means saying a resounding YES to some things and a firm NO to others....intentionality. All for a destination that will come, the end of our days, but what story will we tell when we get there? And how will the path have been for us?

Interesting stuff.

No comments: