Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Has it really been one week?

Normally I have so much to say. Guess this week has kept me busy or not so much, and I have discovered that I have not a whole lot to say. So keep reading, 'cause this should be 'super' fun!

Have you ever tried to do something on your own? I have - oh have I EVER. I am the queen of performance. No, I am not talking about my roles as Miss Hannigan or Jenny (THE SHAPE OF THINGS). I am talking about how I achieve (and usually rapidly, because I am slightly impatient) and strive and drive and move and accomplish. I have spent too much time finding validation and worth and significance through my own performance and my own sense of trusting myself. I fight this mental battle each day, because each day presents the temptation to go it alone. And yet each day I know I DON'T WANT TO be alone, accomplish alone, or strive. It's not worth it and I tend to mess it up.

In case you're just joining us here, I am in a season where a lot of things defy logic. So, I remind myself to trust the SuperNatural God who directs and pervades all areas of my life. And yes, I have to remind myself to do this each day. I am quite short of perfection. So, I am reading some awesome books that have given me some truth about peace, rest, faith, submission, and surrender.

"Lies that Women believe and the Truth that Sets Them Free" Nancy Leigh DeMoss
"The Confident Woman" Annabel Gillham
"Grace Walk" Steve McVey

These books have challenged and reminded me to go to the Word of God to find the Truth to replace the lies that my actions show that I believe (to name a few- the fact that I can do it alone, I can trust myself, that I must accomplish to feel significant). Whew, it's awfully exhausting to be coached, taught, led, and discplined by Your Best Friend and Heavenly Father this way. But I wouldn't trade this time for anything....nothing....It's not easy, fun...but it IS WORTH IT.

The journey looks different for all of us. We all stumble differently, but we've all been liberated into Truth. That's good news! I wish I had learned long ago that confronting the false beliefs (lies) is not enough - we must replace these lies with the Truth of Scripture and choose to put the false beliefs behind us. That is a daily thing for me, maybe even an hourly thing. But the incredible freedom from guilt, burden, anger, frustration, envy, jealousy etc is SO WORTH IT.


"a faith and knowledge resting on the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time" Titus 1:2

"With God all things are possible" Matthew 19:26

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now life in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and delivered Himself up for me." Galatians 2:20

"Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior." Colossians 1:21

"For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves," Colossians 1:13

"And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus" Ephesians 2:6

"I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say: My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please." Isaiah 46:10

"For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all." 2 Corinthians 4:17

"for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose." Philippians 2:13

No comments: