I just re-read the post I wrote after coming back from Kenya last November. I cannot believe that was 8 months ago. I also cannot believe that some of my dearest friends are camping on the edge of the Great Rift Valley (sleeping even now as I write) in Kenya with 14 college students. The Journey 2009 Internship began May 29. The team went up to Camp Highland for a time of unity and identity. Then the team left last Friday (June 5) for Kenya and will be back stateside on June 22. Based on my post, I can imagine what they are experiencing: awe, exhaustion, humility, confusion, concern, tragedy, joy, inspiration, exhilaration, appeal, adventure...to name a few. There is something distinctively amazing about getting outside your comfort zone to serve someone else! I know I was way outside of my comfort zone - I never had any intentions of going to Africa, I just figured that plenty of people were passionate about it. I was content as a ant at a picnic with ministry here, stateside. And I am not sure that is true anymore. I actually don't know what the future will hold as far as adventures and risks: international trips? urban living? rural life? international living? But I do know that I am far more open and far more willing to accept a radical call or prick to ministry than I was before. That's what a time of drought will do to you...that's what responding, even just once, in faith will do: allow you to have just enough faith to know that you could do it again if you had to, because you know you weren't alone.
Some of the students had never left their state, much less country. I am excited for how their worldview will change. Some students have never engaged in an area with as much poverty as what they are seeing now. I am thrilled that they will be exposed to reality. I am, mostly, excited for how their view of their own self will change. Not because I expect them to come home more self-involved (the goal would be to become less that than before going), but that sometimes through risk and adventure we learn more about our unique place in the great big Story that goes on all around us. I always thought that the best thing college did for me was to allow me to get to know myself, my heart, and my hopes and dreams. ....Funny thing is, I am re-learning all of this; or at least being coached in how I cling to the future and what actually matters on that list.... These students are being exposed to service, sacrifice, unity, and identity. WOW. What a privilege to play a part in that, even in a small way. What a privilege to know that somewhere "out there" there are people who care enough to sacrifice a bit of time so that the next generation will be more informed, engaged, and intentional about life. Incredible. And CHOOSE TO INVEST (www.choosetoinvest.org) is just one organization of many that are making a difference in the Africa, the world, and in an eternity.
www.seasonsoflifeministries.org
www.dropinthebucket.org
www.the410bridge.org
www.ijm.org
www.luo-setfree.org
www.northpoint.org
www.eaglebrookchurch.com
www.biblegateway.com
www.worldvision.org
www.brightpointforchildren.org
No comments:
Post a Comment