Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Post about Posting

Being a blogger means that anything in life can become something you write about. My dad teasingly threatened to stop talking to me, because he wasn't sure he wanted "everything" published. It's too bad I can't tell you about the in-depth conversation we had the other night....I am protecting me here, not him. :) But, what I love about blogging, or what blogging causes me to do is: observe life. I don't own my own company, I don't have a high profile job, I am not married or a mommy, I don't travel a lot, I am not ridiculously wealthy, I am not all that funny or profoundly interesting, but I can find stories anywhere and everywhere. I can share things that I observe, I want to become more observant of, or that I have personally experienced. So, not unlike me, I talk...well, really it's writing and not talking, but I write like I talk. So, I guess it's like I am talking, except that my hands aren't flailing around all-marionette-like because I need them for typing. Okay, moving on, I think you get the idea....

What's odd about this, though, is that sometimes I don't know what to say. Like, is my life actually interesting enough, or am I interesting enough for that matter? Or other times I think "this will so be a post someday" or I think about doing things a certain way so I can post a blog about it later. This, for example, is shaping up to be a post about posting. Random.

Moving onto other things I thought to post about:

**I just finished reading a book I started on Tuesday called, THE SHORT LIST. Bill Butterworth wrote a page-turner (honestly, I laughed OUT LOUD a lot reading this book - his knack for storytelling and the stories he shares are worth the read alone) narrowing down four character traits, the short list, that he hopes are his legacy. And then challenges each reader to define for themselves a list for their own legacy. Butterworth chose: Love, Honesty, Faith, Courage. What would you choose for your legacy-leaving character traits?

**I was talking with someone today, one of my fave's: Lindsey, about this phase of life. For so long I have fought the circumstances and the conditions: being just a nanny, living an income-sensitive lifestyle (!!), and the personal character journey I have been on. I have called this a phase. And it's occurring to me that "a phase" is probably not the most accurate and honorable way to describe what life is like for me. See, I think this is a strategic time in life for me...perhaps it's a phase, perhaps it's not. I am strategically without some things I have always loved doing, but I am incredibly filled up by others. I am strategically a nanny (not "just" at all), so that I can strategically give my mental energy to great volunteer endeavors (and honestly, probably so that I can embrace the notion that perhaps I will be a stay-at-home-mommy someday, an idea that I didn't welcome in the past. Now, who knows?). I am strategically in a different location, but I am befriending some of the most amazing people and experiencing the opportunity of adventure. I was telling Lindsey, that cannot hardly remember the woman I was a year ago. I am not sure that I can decisively describe all of the changes in my heart and character, but I can feel them. And it brings me to tears the gratefulness I have for being loved enough to not be left alone. It's not a coincidence at all and it's probably not a phase. It's exactly what God planned for me. And I am giddy about it all. Have you been willing to take the risk of personal growth? How did that go for you?

**I have become slightly obsessed with Jane Austen and movies made of her stories. I have become newly acquainted with EMMA. I just LOVE how conversation happens - so noble, poetic, and kindred. It's beautiful. What happened to the authenticity of thought and friendship and apology? What happened to the English language that we got lazy or bored of the significance of words and the construction of a sentence? Hmmm....what's up with that, yo?

Okay, well, thanks for reading this post that has been about the art of posting and other random things.

1 comment:

roomie said...

have you blogged about "if I were a criminal?"
that is post worthy, right?