Wednesday, August 26, 2009

My Family Rocks

I recently made a "financial investment" in my role as a teacher and bought a few books about parenting, spiritual growth, and families. One already arrived - by the way - books are my favorite mail to get, and this book is entitled, "Words Kids Need to Hear" by David Staal. I haven't read it yet, but the back cover gives the 7 phrases that kids must hear:

"I believe in You"
"You can Count on Me"
"I treasure you"
"I'm sorry, please forgive me"
"Because"
"No"
"I Love you"

It occurs to me, that as I research families and support families, that it may not hurt to give a public shout out to mine. My parents are amazing. My sister makes me laugh and is bringing a husband into the picture next year. I like him too. I am so blessed.

I don't recall each time or all times or that I heard each of the above 7 phrases as a child. I KNOW I heard "I love you" - no doubt about it. I know I heard, "No." I heard "because..." too. The others I cannot recall. But don't feel sorry for me or my poor memory. Because my parents actions revealed them. Mom and Dad drove countless hours to swimming practice, theatre productions, failed musical instrument lessons, or driver's ed. And that was just me!!!!! They made financial sacrifices to provide family vacations for Megan and I. They went on dates together and allowed us to have "awake overs" (the nights when friends stayed over to sleep - but no real sleeping happened. Dad called them awake-overs). They showered us with confidence, love, empowerment, insight, discipline, and laughter.

It's *possible* that I get some of my passion for families, because I grew up in a healthy one. Don't get me wrong - we have our idiosyncrasies and our dysfunctional moments. But I like us (and if Bob is joining in on our team, we can't be that bad). I am blessed.

So, Mom - Dad: I Love you each so much. Thank you.
Meg: I love you, my dear dear friend and sister.
Bob...thanks for diggin' Meg enough to wanna take on the rest of us too.

My family Rocks!

1 comment:

Jen, Bjorn, Torin, Vaughn, and Bercan said...

Kristine - I LOVE YOU!!! I really just love your passion, energy and willingness to put 110% or more into what you do. God definitely made an amazing women out of you. The book sounds really good and is one that I should definitely pick up. Looking forward to hopefully catching up or at least seeing you while you are in town...God Bless! Jen :)