This is the first year in all of my 28 (is that right?) that I won't be with the fam on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. It's kinda surreal to actually have to figure out my own plans....and organize myself, whenst (is that a word?) I have never had to consider that aspect a whole lot, over the years.
((confession - in the pace of life, I often forget to adequately orchestrate the details of my own life - yes, YES I have my bill schedules in my calendar for monthly and weekly reminders to pay attention to my bills.
Otherwise, I'd just keep right on going and not work it. I can remember birthdays, most of the time, and send encouragement cards, but to plan my own life takes so much extra work for me. LAWD, help me))
God has blessed me with additional family members that love on me and encourage me, so I feel deeply included and cared for. I will not be alone. :)
I am just also considering some of my favorite holiday memories and Wendt Fam Holiday traditions ...though we aren't all that traditional, often times.
+We often have meatballs and potatoes and veggies etc for Christmas dinner (last year we did fondue and I basically messed up the recipe and therefore the meal...oops!)
+I remember laying down on the couch (this couch was rockin' it with 1970's styles and colors) with an afghan (it's a knitted blanket) that someone had made and just staring at Christmas lights, whilst listening to Christmas music...It was so magical and romantic and whimsical to lie there and get lost in my day dreams when I was a little lady.
+Christmas Eve sledding! Whoot Whoot for crazy sledding and digging in the backyard. :) I guarantee you I will have tried to "surf down the hill" at least once and/or tried to single ski sled that we have....I am not coordinated for either of these things, and I will end up in a pile.
+Macy's 8th floor and the Holidazzle parade. This wasn't a "thing" on Christmas, but it's a glorious seasonal activity in Minneapolis....ahhh...so frigid and windy that it's festive. Or cold. Or both.
+Christmas morning breakfast. I LOVE breakfast foods! Yes, I do, so a spread of cinnamon rolls and eggs, and sausages, and COFFEE! (megan doesn't care for this part, she doesn't like coffee much at all), and oooohhh YUM.
+Christmas Day movies with Phil and Sandra Jeanne. After Megan and Bob head down to spread the love with the family in Owatonna, and the din of the party fades, Mom, Dad and I rock it out at the movie theatre...usually an independent film. Popcorn will be had. And we will discuss the movie quality, lighting, acting, scene metaphors or the like the whole way home. ;)
+Playing Games!
+Lindsey Lindteigen used to come over with us because she worked at church with me, and couldn't hit her family's house until Christmas Day. It was incredible to be able to spend a holiday with her, but also include her in our family meals.
+Theatre! We tend to hit up some theatre shows around the holidays (and the first time Bob came to the Guthrie with us, I kinda knew he was "IN" with the Wendt's). One year we went to a Cirque de Soleil thing, it was sorta odd. Usually we go to the Guthrie and see A CHRISTMAS CAROL.
As you slow down your work schedules, I hope you, too can reflect on the celebrations that makes for fun memories and cherished moments.
Mom, if you are reading this, I love you and Dad so much. AND MEGAN AND BOB. AND NANA. Stay tuned, I am going to find a way to document what I do this holiday and post more pics here. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment