A lot of things
move me to tears, let’s be honest. And if you know me, you already know that,
so it’s not like its news to you. If you didn’t know that, because I may be a
bubbly and smiley kind of person, well, the “cat” is out of the bag: I have a
loving and tender heart that leaks out of my eyes quite often.
I just finished a
book called, “LOVE DOES” given to me by one of my summer interns from the
Wellspring Living Redeemed Assessment Center. It was a generous gift, and a
good book (though when I first heard of
it, I super-struggled with the name of it). My favorite parts of this book
were not the actual stories (though, I
gotta say I absolutely laughed out loud and shed a tear more than once
throughout). My favorite sections of this book include insight from the
front and back covers, one in the prologue and one in the epilogue.
In writing the
foreward, Donald Miller, writes of Bob Goff in these ways:
“Bob Goff loves people with a force that is
natural, and by natural, I mean like nature….He loves effortlessly….I think Bob
Goff knows God, and I think God’s love flows through him.”
“I don’t know how to explain Bob’s love except to say it
is utterly and delightfully devastating.”
In the
acknowledgements in the back of the book, Bob Goff writes of Donald Miller, “You
added yourself to my life.”
Even as I write
this, I have a few tears strolling down my cheeks.
Not because I
know Bob Goff or feel like I need to. Not because Donald Miller wrote those
words. Or even that Bob Goff makes a compelling case for a life of “whimsy,
engagement, and a faith that moves.”
But because the
love of God between these two men moves me.
They see each
other, know each other, and love each other.
Ohmylanta, there
is such a WE in how they publicly write of each other. But that WE (team, in “it” together, relationship)
includes the powerful “ME” between them where each man is to be free to be whom
they are, where they are, and profoundly as they are because of who God made
them to be. There isn’t a “they”…
Jesus loved like
that, didn’t he?
He saw people.
He looked right
into their eyes and saw people. He saw their personhood, not their action. He
saw their aches, not their striving. He saw their jaded stories, and inspired
them forward. He saw blind men, sick men, & rejected women (the list goes on). He saw the woman at
the well, and ambushed her with grace.
Oh that I would
love like that: See their true face, not the mask.
As I begin my
public journey (cause, Ya’ll, this didn’t
start with me and God has been writing of it for awhile) with Grace Upon Grace, I am so aware of
people, of relationship, and the blessing it is to be seen by a great cloud of
witnesses (His Church)…while also knowing and trusting that our lives are for
an audience of One.
I am aware of the
times where I haven’t loved fully, engaged really, nor did I take the time to
see someone…there was anxiety, pride, jealousy, insecurity, fear, control,
striving, co-dependency, or other “ICK! of the like” all up in my way.
But, sin is just
sin, and I am learning to agree with God: to see people and receive
when He sees me.
People matter.
Not for what they
do, but for who they are and whose they are.
I am inspired
today to engage with the Lord as his Follower; to receive more of his extravagant
and playful Love, so I might leak of His love.
John 13:34-35
“A
new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved
you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you
are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
1 comment:
I love the post - but had to laugh at the title when I saw it on facebook. "moved to tears", hm, commercial about auto parts? Sitcoms that someones gold fish died? I only jest - of course. I love your tender heart. You wouldn't be the same without it. Love you!!!!
Post a Comment