What is
discipleship counseling you may ask?
Valid question.
Discipleship is
life-on-life, following one who goes before, listening and living and learning
and growing alongside. There are questions to ask from one to another, prayers
to pray amongst the two, and it’s “team.” (BTW,
this is my verbal flow of a definition; stay tuned for actual definitions of
words – that may come at some point.)
Counseling is the
process of reflection on the past, discussing current life circumstances, and
taking ownership of one’s own part of the process. It’s re-training your
thoughts to think Truth, rather than lies. It’s receiving honor and
accountability from the counselor, and taking initiative and placing forth
intentionality. It’s pursuing wholeness. Which leads to a more vibrant future.
(Again, my verbal flow of definition here,
of things like cause and effect! Can’t wait to learn more too.)
The intimidating
part of this for me could easily be a few things:
I
Love to talk. So, how am I to be a life-on-life listener?
If
I place myself in a position as a counselor, do I have what it takes to offer
wise counsel?
Truthfully,
though, ya’ll; I am not The Counselor. I am me.
And praise God he
has brought me to a place of humble confidence (a place of making simple agreement) with Him about whom He says I
am.
I am me, and the
Spirit of the Living God lives within me (1 John 4:4).
I am ready to walk
with my God in this new adventure. It’s been rumbling for a while, even since
college, if you will, when I created my own B.A. for the sake of people,
families, and communication.
So what will you
talk about?
Yeah, another
valid question.
Discipleship
counseling poses different questions and follows through a varied process than
other kinds of counseling or therapy.
Our topics can or
may include (as well as current life
issues):: Concept of God, Identity in Christ, Brokenness, Guilt, Shame,
Fear, Abundant Life, Freedom, Acceptance, Forgiveness or whatever the God gives…
It’s all stemming
from Truth in the Word.
I am going to
serve as a guide and a shepherd to those who desire abundant life, to
understand their identity and position with Christ (the BEING before the
DOING), freedom (Galatians 5:1). And we’ll make creative altars of remembrance,
we’ll giggle and play (yeah, free
INDEED!), and see where the adventure of the Spirit takes us!
Today, I
rejoice in the God who literally did this all, when it took me awhile to catch
on. I rejoice in the fact that He will usher in freedom and joy back into lives
that may have lack right now. I am honored, TRULY, to be a VIP witness to His
Story through His people. I am listening.
Isaiah 60:1-3
(NKJV) ::The Gentiles Bless
Zion
“Arise,
shine; For your light has come! And the glory of the Lord is risen upon you.
For behold, the darkness shall cover the earth, And deep darkness the people;
But the Lord will arise over you, And His glory will be seen upon you. The Gentiles shall come to your light, And kings to the brightness of your rising.”
For behold, the darkness shall cover the earth, And deep darkness the people;
But the Lord will arise over you, And His glory will be seen upon you. The Gentiles shall come to your light, And kings to the brightness of your rising.”
No comments:
Post a Comment