Thursday, August 7, 2008

I guess I laugh loudly.

Last night I had the distinct privilege to head out for a sisterhood night with my dear girlie, Susan. WOW, did we have fun! We went to see SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING PANTS 2. We were among many anxious women, girls, ladies...and their blushing boyfriends. Mostly women, though. We got our popcorn, got our Diet Coke, and grabbed our seats (middle section, up towards the back, aisle seats 1 and 2). The movie started with the theme song and dramatic dialogue about a pair of jeans. Can I just tell you that in 2005 when this first movie came out I made FUN of my parents for seeing it. I mean - a movie about jeans. Sounded awful. Well, when I did get to seeing it, I was impressed. So I was fully excited to see the flick with Susan. We enjoyed it. We have fun together - laughing, commenting on the scenery, and movie characters. Well, in my moments of pure joy, I must have laughed loudly. Now, I know I am not a difficult presence to notice in a room. I can't help it, I am just "that way." What I didn't know is that my laugh was just THAT loud or THAT offensive. This lovely woman in front of us turned around and ever so diplomatically said, "Shut the _____ up." Susan stopped laughing loudly. I continued. What's more ironic is that I DID NOT HEAR this woman, so I spent the whole movie laughing and cajoling over the girlie-ness and story. Only during the credits did Susan share this with me. WHOOPS. Do I laugh that loud? Is it even socially acceptable to tell someone to be quiet during a comedy at which they are laughing? And then, to celebrate our fun night, we crammed our sisterhood into a fun photo booth and took some photos. Oh the memories. :) 

Today was the first day of the Willow Creek Association's Annual Leadership Summit. It was phenomenal. I love taking notes, not just on the leadership lessons, but on the words used, descriptive phrases, and stories told. Just in case..... It was a great day! It was fun being with the whole Kid-O-Deo team. AND over 1000 other leaders (just @ our site) and among 60,000 leaders nationally getting geared up for fighting against the gates of evil. :) Bill Hybels talked about axioms and those that we stick within our mental vaults to draw upon during life and leadership. Here are some that I think I live by, have created, or have used:
*Hard, Easy (meaning: do the hard work now of creating systems, so long term, things can be "easy")
*When you have an idea, bring a proposal
*Bring solutions not just questions
*It's extremely important to remember to have a really big white board for creative brainstorming
*Everyone can be creative - there are no bad ideas
*As a team, we've established: Absolutely Positive and Like a Duck
*Self Awareness and Self Regulation are not equal, but equally important.
*Why choose mediocrity when you can choose excellence?
*Questions, Whims, Anecdotes, Stories, Curiosities, Questions, Thoughts, Comments, Ideas, Fears....(I like to stimulate conversation)
*What If....(I like to stimulate conversation)
*Ice Cream is never a bad idea. Neither is cheesecake.
*Laughter is good.
I am going to make an effort to establish a list and continue this for my leadership legacy.

Oh the Adventure of LIFE! 

No comments: