Saturday, August 23, 2008

I hope tomorrow is better than today.

I confess that lately I have been a bit inspired by consumerism. I have not been too apt to give in to the wants that I have, for limitations in my own life. But, oh, I have WANTED things with the best of them. I will say that my greatest weakness is Caribou or Starbucks. Or purses on clearance. Why do I feel compelled to buy another purse? Why do I need a half-caf Americano when I have coffee @ home? Why do I love reading books - books that I have bought (albeit always on clearance)? Why isn't the library occasionally good enough? Why is the little red clearance tag @ Target a beacon of ability for me? I can choose to ignore it and not purchase that thing that I think I need. Why do I have to work out @ the Y when I can go on a walk or run (ha, yeah right) outside? Or play tennis with Megan or Lindsey (hehe)? Especially considering that I am still working to improve my love for corporate exercise. 

And then I get frustrated when gas prices go up, opportunities for giving arise and I can't, rent goes up, or unexpected bills fall in my mailbox. If I had planned better...

I am moving soon to Atlanta. And I am a bit uncertain about the new arrangements, but what I do know is that my lifestyle margin will change. And to be honest, I am a little (a lot) grateful. I almost need to be stripped from margin SO THAT I can have margin for ministry. Margin for spontaneous generosity. Margin away from the burdens that hinder me. I cannot serve both God and money. I cannot be a slave any longer to the things I think I need, which for me includes convenience and instant gratification. I don't know when this desire will dissolve (Have you mastered it yet? What tricks did you discover?), but I do know that I am selling some of my possessions, downsizing my plans for convenience, and letting the adventure of God take me on a new journey towards less so that there is more. More freedom. More peace. More stewardship. More jewels in Heaven. More knowledge. More empowerment. More generosity. More of my heart in Christ. 

I want to learn. I want to improve. 

No comments: