Tuesday, August 5, 2008

I'm going to have to get shots!!!

In 3 short months I will be hoppin' on a jet plane for the short flight (hehehe) to Kenya, Africa. We will be there to help others, lead others, and develop others. It's going to be amazing. Assuredly, I will fall in love with the sweet kids and will want to put them in a box and bring them home to put on a shelf. PLEASE, do not write me and accuse me of poor behavior. It's merely a ridiculous phrase I use when I believe little ones to be completely adorable! BUT, before I can go, I will have to get a squillion shots. Okay not a squillion, but a lot. A whole lot. Have I mentioned that I don't like needles? I had Lyme's disease when I was in elementary school and they took their sweet little time diagnosing me. ONLY for me to find out as a scared little kid that they would need to draw blood every two weeks for the ENTIRE summer. This was torturous. NOW, in my wisdom and maturity, I still have a seemingly irrational fear of needles. Kristin, in her sweet Southern drawl, told me today that it was totally worth it for her. Susan told me the other day that I will be just fine. BUT right here right now, I am a bit weary of the needle-poking-albeit-medicinal-helping process. EAK! I may have nightmares tonight. :)

In talking with Kristin tonight she shared a phrase that I may need to needlepoint on a pillow: Be obedient enough for today. I am a futuristic-idealistic-fast-paced-impatient individual and I have a hard time NOT playing the outcomes through. I am reminded that I need to be obedient enough for this moment. Right here, right now. I am not guaranteed the future, so right here right now is all I have. And God-willing, tomorrow will generate within me faithfulness and a richer level of obedience to God's calling and purpose for me. 

I like this verse -"Do not despise these small beginnings, for the LORD rejoices to see the work begin..." (Zecheriah 4:10)

I have done some packing today. Some cleaning. Some organizing. Some playing. And praying. What a day!

No comments: