Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Hippos look cute in pictures.

Riding in a "canoe" in a pond filled with hippos. I am deciding if I think I would be brave enough to do that. This is an option during a trip to Kenya - after the ministry work is done, we can spend some time in Lake Naivila, Kenya and see true native wildlife. I just have to hover there for a minute - hippos, giraffes, zebras, wildebeests in their climates. Me just hanging out...Whoa. I like adventure, but is this too daring for me? What if the hippo goes under water, and comes up right under the boat and now I am in the water (which I am not supposed to be in anyway)? I mean, come on, I am a swimmer, but puh-lease, I'd like to just stick to racing humans. 

What does the Great Rift Valley look like with my eyes? How is it possible for rainbows to seemingly appear each day in Africa? Why have I never felt inclined to go to Africa until now? And now that I am going, am I ready? Am I patient and flexible enough? Will culture shock hit me IN Africa or UPON the return? These are the kinds of thoughts that haunt my mind and burden my soul in the whispers of the night. 

Today was a great day discussing the trip to Kenya - what to wear, not to wear, to pack, not to pack, to read, learn the language. I am seeing the horizon. For so long, okay for 7 weeks, it has been surreal and now the trip is in full planning mode. I am so thrilled and so impressed with God. Which people will we visit? What will we talk about? How will I lead? How will I follow? What will creative arts and discipleship look like for preschoolers? elementary students? high schoolers? 

There is a real enemy and he is haunting me. I must keep my prayerful thoughts alive. I must keep focused on this great BIG God, or else I focus on my weaknesses and human logic. None of this makes sense unless God. Unless God. Is Involved. He has been so far. And I feel His hand of Favor. and Mercy. And Love. 

On a lighter note, here in Atlanta, I have rented a Hyundai Sonata. I kinda like it. Nice and quiet. Smooth drive. 

No comments: