Sunday, January 15, 2012

but i don't speak greek!

For about 168 hours, I have been a bit interested in the phrase, Kyrie Eleison. I actually thought it was Latin, and inquired about it when listening to the new David Crowder CD (their last - it's SOLID, consider getting it!) amongst friends after the Passion Conference. 
I was just curious about what it meant - Oh Lord have mercy - but it ended up causing me to consider all of the traditional and lectionary things I remember from church growing up.
I may be getting ahead of myself....
The phrase Kyrie Eleison is Greek, and became a part of the "Requiem Mass" for the Roman Catholic Church. Look at THE KYRIE, part of the Eucharist during Lenten Worship (in some evangelical churches) - It's poetic, reverent, poignant, and incredible. :)
Kyrie, rex genitor ingenite, vera essentia, eleyson.
Kyrie, luminis fons rerumque conditor, eleyson.
Kyrie, qui nos tuæ imaginis signasti specie, eleyson.
Christe, Dei forma humana particeps, eleyson.
Christe, lux oriens per quem sunt omnia, eleyson.
Christe, qui perfecta es sapientia, eleyson.
Kyrie, spiritus vivifice, vitæ vis, eleyson.
Kyrie, utriqusque vapor in quo cuncta, eleyson.
Kyrie, expurgator scelerum et largitor gratitæ quæsumus propter nostrasoffensas noli nos relinquere, O consolator dolentis animæ, eleyson (ed. Burntisland, 929). 

[Lord, King and Father unbegotten, True Essence of the Godhead, have mercy on us.
Lord, Fount of light and Creator of all things, have mercy on us.
Lord, Thou who hast signed us with the seal of Thine image, have mercy on us.
Christ, True God and True Man, have mercy on us.
Christ, Rising Sun, through whom are all things, have mercy on us.
Christ, Perfection of Wisdom, have mercy on us.
Lord, vivifying Spirit and power of life, have mercy on us.
Lord, Breath of the Father and the Son, in Whom are all things, have mercy on us.
Lord, Purger of sin and Almoner of grace, we beseech Thee abandon us not because of our Sins, O Consoler of the sorrowing soul, have mercy on us.] 
((http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08714a.htm))

Sometimes we just pray/sing: 
Lord, have mercy; Christ have mercy; Lord have mercy...
I can pull out essences of Scripture in each of the [English] phrases...And maybe that's why I love it. Sure, it was written by man, but it is reflective of the Word, The person of Jesus Christ. Light (James 1:17-18), All things (Romans 11:36), Purger of Sin (2 Corinthians 5:16-21).
I love the beckoning for mercy - what an appeal to the One who bestows and makes glad the hearts of His children. 

Back to some other aspects of worship that I remember from when I was a child:

The Apostles Creed
I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
    the Maker of heaven and earth,
    and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord:
Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost,
    born of the virgin Mary,
    suffered under Pontius Pilate,
    was crucified, dead, and buried;
He descended into hell.
The third day He arose again from the dead;
He ascended into heaven,
    and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty;
    from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Ghost;
    the holy catholic church;
    the communion of saints;
    the forgiveness of sins;
    the resurrection of the body;
    and the life everlasting.
Amen.

Do you? Do you believe in God, ALMIGHTY GOD? Can you fathom that He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit, born to a young, virgin woman? Do you recognize that he absolutely did suffer under the hand of one who could free him: Pontius Pilate (although, this was according to plan!)? Do you believe in the holy catholic (which here means Universal...global, Kingdom-minded) church? Do you believe that you'll get a new body someday?

When I was younger many of these things we repeated in church seemed rote and dull, I didn't know what to do with what I was saying, much less even understand what I saying! I didn't understand what the Nicene Creed was, or a creed for that matter... Didn't get what Pentecost meant, had no clue how Advent could bring me any meaning...And why were we all praying with our eyes open and monotone voices The Lord's Prayer (had no idea that it was actually listed in the Bible!)...

Now? Now, I have come to a point of reverence for the beacons of church history and lectionary practice (spiritual disciplines). More than that, I see more of Jesus in some of these words, because I am just in love with him. I don't need fancy phrases or repetitive thoughts, but will I find him there? YES, I WILL. Because He is Immanuel, and He is Mine. :)


No comments: