Saturday, January 3, 2009

It Took Me Longer Than One Day

1) What choice of disciplined action can I make that will improve my spiritual journey? *Enjoy this time of pilgrimage where I am understanding my identity in Christ and Knowing the voice, truth, heart, and freedom of God Himself.
"But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewing by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life." Titus 3:4-7

2) What choice of disciplined action can I make that will improve my compassion for others? *From a trusted news source, I will seek out world and national news 2-3 times per week and then commit the issues to prayer.
"The earth is the LORD's, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it" Psalm 24:1

3) What choice of disciplined action can I make that will improve my personal character? *Prayer and action against instant gratification: "count to ten" and daily "morning wake up prayer" for peace, patience, and contentment.  
"For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age.” Titus 2:11-12

Items worth mentioning
*Drink More Water (John 4:10)
*consume less sugar each day
*Join a small group (James 5:16)
*Begin serving at church (1 Corinthians 14:12)
*memorize Scripture (2 Timothy 3:16)
*Mentors: spiritual and professional and personal
*Snowball out of Debt (Romans 13:8)  

It would be very easy for me to allow these things to be a list of things to do. It might even be a good list. An honorable list of things to accomplish and work towards as I move throughout this year. BUT, if I allow it to remain a list that I am bound to, I am enslaved. I have formatted this and prayed over this to be a list of things I keep in mind, SO THAT I might remain FREE within Christ. No matter what I am redeemed and forgiven and hopeful for an eternity, but this list is something I want to uphold that I might grow in the direction of God's Kingdom.
I have to say, I am not great @ follow through or implementation. I get excited for awhile and then I poop out with boredom, or laziness, or A.D.D. tendencies or.....I don't even know. So, feel free to ask me how these are going. I appreciate the love and encouragement that can come from others. :D

It wouldn't be appropriate for me to usher in 2009 and forget to make note of the glorious year of 2008 that God had through me.
*Solid team @ EBC (that I eventually left behind...my season was over and something new came)
*Great coaching on the Leadership Lane with susan, mike, alyssa, jill, penny, cathy
*great podcasts
*Mark and Devin Joestingengaged and married
*Nora Reese Fredrickson (
who was technically born in 2007, but we had a great year with her)
*My golden birthday
*Moving from Mounds View, MN to Alpharetta, Georgia
*Going to Kenya
*New friendships
*Growth in friendships
*Jesus + Me: Yes Book
*Growth and Improvement within the Kid-O-DeoCurriculum and Volunteer Culture
*"Mark of the Lion" Trilogy
*"The Shack"
*"Crazy Love"
*"High School Musical 3: Senior Year" :)
*Dad retired and we had a FUN retirement party to celebrate his career!
*Mom and Megan went to a Hurricane Katrina affected area and served others - so proud of them!
*Megan and I exploring Atlanta without a map! Oh, and the drive to Atlanta was a blast!
*Feeling @ home in Atlanta
*Going home to MN for Christmas and New Years
*Being a church attendee again - wow, so amazing!
*Kayla Jane born May 1!
*Going to Kenya, feeling my heartbeat change, and my worldview/perspective enhanced!
*God taking away my sense of ambition and direction; leaving me with: HIM.
*Emily's photography business taking off and I got to be her helper for a day.
*Aaron working @ EBC
*Addison Joy Mack
*Living near my sweet bebe's: Christian, Matteo, Reuben, and Alexa
*Trying ad sales @ TownLoafer
*Picking apples with Lindsey

I am so grateful that there are readers who read this. Even if I didn't, writing is therapeutic for me. I don't write to get feedback or comments (which for some reason aren't often generated here), but I would love to dialogue. I write because I LOVE to write and this way I can keep some of my favorite people informed about how life is leading here in Atlanta!
I am just on an adventure. I am more broken and poor than I have ever been. But my insides and outsides are filling up with the things that actually matter. So, don't pity me. Feel free to pray, but don't pity me. And pray that you yourself can be on an adventure with God. It's so worth it!
 

2 comments:

Deitra Shoemaker said...

Hey Kristine!I am finally getting around to checking out your blog and I'm very impressed! Loved your questions (where did you find them?) and your answers. Accountability is such a great way to stay on target with your goals.So find someone who will ask you THE question on a regular basis to challenge you to greatness. Would love to chat sometime soon. Rob gets back from Kenya tomorrow night (midnight) after leading a 10 day trip. Loved your HSM3 video too. You go girl!
Deitra

Anonymous said...

A great list Kristine. I especially like your goal to read and pray about the news. This is something we could all benefit from. Good luck on your journey as you turn this into life rather than just a list! ~Sandra