Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Christophany and BrightPoint for Children

I would like to introduce you to: BrightPoint and Christophany.

BrightPoint for Children (brightpointforchildren.org) is a great non-profit organization that works to sponsor kids for their basic needs and for their education. Most of the work I know of is in Kenya. But you never know what will happen! :) AND, BrightPoint works alongside The 410 Bridge, the organization that I went to Kenya with. Which is super special, because I got to meet my little sponsor child, Christophany. :) 

Christophany is one of the biological children of Joseph and Salome. They run the Havilla Children's Home. Joseph and Salome only have two biological kids, but over 45 kids live in the home. These children ALL call Joseph and Salome "mom" and "dad." All of the children have specific chores and contribute to the rhythym of the home. It is a completely beautiful sight. When I was visiting Havilla, I asked how we could be praying for Salome and she said, "Strength." She didn't list a wealth of other needs, but she was concerned about having the strength needed to be what the kids needed from her. What a beautiful picture of her calling - she has put aside so many of the things that we think of each day, so that she can do what God has fashioned her for. 

I get to sponsor Christophany's basic needs each month, meaning the money I contribute will help ensure her food needs and health needs. I am so thrilled. When we were @ Havilla I got to play and be with some of the kids, including Christophany.  As I think about my choice of disciplined action to improve my compassion for others, I am glad that I'll get to pray for Christophany: for her eyes to continue to glow with the love of God, for her good health, for her to hunger for education, and for her relationship with God. 

I was trying to search for the meaning of the name, Christophany. I came up with nothing except that Wikipedia says that Christophany is the alleged appearance of Jesus Christ in the Old Testament or after the Ascension. Isn't that fabulous??????? She is the appearance of something glorious and beautiful. And Beautiful she is, isn't she?




No comments: