Friday, January 9, 2009

Perspective in the Now.

"Find the eternal perspective in the NOW."
 
That is insanely profound wisdom that I am trying to wrap my mind around. I heard it from a dear friend that I spoke with the other day over the phone. What does it mean to find the eternal perspective in the now? Is it that each moment we should be living our best for God? Is it that each moment we should be serving others? Is it that each moment should catalyze us into the future? Is it that each moment is made for worshipping The God of the universe? Or is it that each moment is empty because the future is not guaranteed to us? Hopefully, it is obvious that I believe that God is in charge and He is worthy of all attention and all adoration and no-one can get around the laws of 'life' as they are directly related to God's Kingdom. 

So how does this apply to me?  Well, I am in a "wave of obedience" the likes of which I have not personally seen. And the likes of which I am finding myself ashamed to be worried about, in light of the state of the world and the American predicament. Anyway, so having an eternal perspective for me looks like living with faith and acting obediently for the moment. I MUST have faith that "God has plans for me, to prosper me and not to harm me" (Jeremiah 29:11). I MUST have faith that "I may be persecuted not abandoned, struck down but not destroyed" (2 Corinthians 4:9). Or that God is "faithful and He will do it" (1 Thessalonians 5:24). I MUST have the kind of obedience that says "where you go I will go and your God will be my God" (Ruth 1:19). 

I have been encouraged and spurred on to these kinds of things by some dear ones around me. I have been blessed to have the listening ears of those who care. I have shelter and care from new friends and "old." 

I have applied for over 45 jobs. Many in the nanny arena, or preschool/infant teacher. I have even applied to Target. The potential may be endless, but my hope has been tested. Until I personally witnessed a "small" miracle this week: I had two successful interviews and one is lined up for Monday morning. Praise God for His faithfulness. And one of the interviews has led me to learn more about another situation. Two of these three are for full time nanny positions, with the potential to be "live in nanny" position(s). I will have to talk to them about what that looks like if it is indeed to happen. The third position is for a teacher at a preschool. All in the arena of things I enjoy. But it is coming to the time that I just "have to do what I have to do" so that I can honor God with my decisions.

I have re-learned that work is not the center of our lives, no matter the purpose of our work. But I am grateful that I am being provided for by the God of the universe in the area of work.

Of other note, I have signed up for a community group through Browns Bridge Community Church. And I signed up for Fusion, a single adults ministry gathering through Browns Bridge Community Church....yeah, I know. ME - I freaked out that I did that too!! That is a huge risk for me - single adult ministry events, SO awkward, but I felt like I needed to step out of my comfort zone, relationally. 

This week has not been my best week for my new 2009 Disciplines, but I was blessed to hear from a Life and Spiritual Formation Coach that she used my 3 questions at a retreat she hosted this week. Isn't that flattering and humbling? I give that credit to God - He has made me aware of me. 

Better today than yesterday, better tomorrow than today. 

No comments: