Friday, January 23, 2009

An Offensive Phrase.


I am learning that there are differences between Northerners and Southerners. Which by the way marks one of them. Here, if you are from a northern state, like Ohio or Vermont or ANY northern, you'd be called a Yankee. I have yet to discern where the imaginary line is of distinction. Us northerners would classify the groups of people by their state: Floridians, Texans, Georgians. Only when referring to a wide group of states that are indeed south of where we live, would we call them Southerners. There is an abundant sense of patriotism and loyalty here in the South. (Which for the record, I KNOW that I am making a wide generalization on both ends - don't write me with complaints).... 

Another difference is that chivalry and honor are very widely taught here. I am certain that it is in part due to the location (Bible Belt) and the Biblical understandings of male and female roles. From the time they are boys, men are trained to hold doors for their sisters and mothers, they are told they cannot hit a girl, and are to offer their seats when they see women/children/elderly without one. Honor is taught in their vernacular: "Yes sir" or "No, ma'am." When addressing someone who is older than you, you must respond with a "Yes SIR." I know of few "northerner" families where this is so frequently taught. I must say, my feminine heart LOVES the honor and beauty I feel when someone addresses me with the door open, a respectful smile, or a chair. BUT, the distinctive upbringing I had causes me to also think, "Um, yah, that isn't necessary." Here is where this story gets funny - Atlanta is so full of people from around the country that I have often gotten a scoffing or two when I address them with a "Yes, ma'am" or "No, sir." :)

The above notes have also given me opportunity that I have a lot to learn from Southern behavior: respect and honor are worth actively living out, loyalty to a cause or an upbringing or your country or your alma mater is a respectable endeavor. I also have qualities that I bring with me from the North: a will and a way to offer an opinion, an inheritance of culture, perspective, and a dialect that would NEVER say, "MIGHT COULD: I might could bake an apple pie." OOOOOOHhhhh that is so offensive to my ears and it makes me cringe. :P 

Southern women have a stronger sense of self-preservation than what I have commonly seen from Northern women. Pedicures, manicures, hair care, skin care...and a general appreciation for taking care of one self is more widespread than Northern women. I think some women do it out of vanity, as to be expected, but I'd like to believe that there is a population who have made it a routine because they know no different but to also take care of themselves during this one life. 

I don't mean to "pit" North against South. I am simply learning the differences. One thing is the same: meaning. I have found meaning in life here. And I have NOT forgotten the meaningful path that started in the north. I have roots and wings, I guess. :D

No comments: