i had the privilege of sitting with a dear 14-year old friend last night as we chatted a bit about her recent experience in kenya. she was on the same 10-day experience as a dear friend of mine (friend doesn't cover it here - insert: sister, mentor, counsel, splendid companion, spurrer-on, maternal comforter, movie-goer, comrade, one-i-love-to-laugh-with....it goes on). They both, the whole team really, got to meet some VERY special kenyan friends - ones who our interns interact with, students who have stayed in 'my' home here in America while a part of Daraja, and my dear sweet Christophany. It a double-portion blessing to hear some of the trip. she shared of her favorite bible verse and i was inspired to dive in today.
Genesis 22:: The Offering of Isaac
Back Story -- Kristine-paraphrase :: Abraham, in his golden years with his elderly wife longed for children, but they didn't have any. One day God promised a son. The rushed to make a way for that son to be given birth...their efforts failed (Can I get an amen?). Well, God's promises proved true and Sarah had a son: Isaac. Fast forward some years (I don't know how many, but I just read this morning that it may have been 25, that was shocking: that Isaac might have been 25 years old when this moment took place)....
Back Story -- Kristine-paraphrase :: Abraham, in his golden years with his elderly wife longed for children, but they didn't have any. One day God promised a son. The rushed to make a way for that son to be given birth...their efforts failed (Can I get an amen?). Well, God's promises proved true and Sarah had a son: Isaac. Fast forward some years (I don't know how many, but I just read this morning that it may have been 25, that was shocking: that Isaac might have been 25 years old when this moment took place)....
"God tested Abraham (Gen 22:1) - God, being the Ultimate One, put before Abraham a challenge
Abraham's apparent immediate response: "Here I am." If this was the only thing I discovered today, I'd stop writing, but alas God revealed more to this heart this morning, but isn't it incredible that in the midst of testing Abraham responded quickly with "Yes, Father, I am right here..." "Hello!" "I am listening" or the like!? Incredible. Three times, when Abraham is personally addressed, did he respond with "Here I am" and did he give an apparently immediate response (I don't know that it was immediate and I feel fairly confident in broken world/flesh that some kind of hurt or frustration happened, but what we READ in the Word is that Abraham was very faithful in his obedience).
He was to take his son, his only son (vs 2, and great foreshadowing), and offer him as a burnt offering (note: first time that phrase is used in this story, it will come up again).
Abraham made the trek to Mount Moriah and took Isaac with him. Isaac inquired about the lamb for the burnt offering (again with the foreshadowing, and the burnt offering) for the worship to God....Abraham replied in faith that God would provide.
Abraham followed through on the steps he was asked to consider. Abraham was rescued: an angel of the Lord spoke to Him and issued the decree that Isaac was free and that the Lord Provided (Jehovah Jireh) a new way. A ram was tangled behind him in the woods - that ram would be the burnt offering.
A few incredible things strike me here: in the old testament the common form of worship was burnt offerings. It was their sacrifices for repentance and honor to god. I am just catching up with this revelation and haven't necessarily studied this, but I don't see burnt offering anywhere in the new testament? WHY? Because Jesus Christ was the Lamb of God and was THE FINAL dying sacrifice. And because He rose again in Glory, and then ascended into heaven, there is no more dying as sacrifice. We are LIVING SACRIFICES, living beings with Christ as our Source. We will die (away from this earth), but we do not die to god as a form of repentance, honor, or worship.
I also LOVE the imagery of God and Lord. God was the one who set this all in motion and it was the Lord who Provided and Rescued. Same Being. Different aspects of His character referenced.... God, the ultimate creator and infinite one. Lord, leader and guide and relationship....beautiful. God IS all things at ALL times!
I also LOVE the imagery of God and Lord. God was the one who set this all in motion and it was the Lord who Provided and Rescued. Same Being. Different aspects of His character referenced.... God, the ultimate creator and infinite one. Lord, leader and guide and relationship....beautiful. God IS all things at ALL times!
I don't yet have children, perhaps someday - we'll see, but my heart breaks for the emotional complexity of this story. Abraham finally had the blessing, the arrow in his quiver, that his heart longed for...And that little Isaac WAS his heart walking around outside his body. AND THEN, he was asked to place that heart on the altar of sacrifice....
But God. (how true is that, He is the HOLY BUT, the real truth after the comma)
God provided a way out. a way into Himself. a way into relationship. that's my take-away today, though it's hard to stop @ one. that we have a way into himself, because death no longer separates us. we are living sacrifices, not burnt offerings. there is life and it is Him. HE IS GOD. and HE IS LORD.
Hebrews 3:4 (ESV)
"For every house is built by someone, but the builder of all things is God."
2 Chronicles 20:12 (ESV)
"O our God, ... We do not know what to do, but our eyes are on you."
Romans 8:38-39 (ESV)
"For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor
height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to
separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."
No comments:
Post a Comment