have you ever believed a lie? Perhaps that Milli Vanilli was actually singing songs, or that sugar free meant no sugar added at all. What happened when you found out the truth? did it send a floodgate, or a torrent of consideration on your part?
Well, this happened to me recently, and it's lead me here - to journal/write a post that I am not sure I have authority, or interest, in writing. The flesh that resides within me is weary of being misunderstood....but, I am listening to the Father on this, and honestly, I'm only going to share what I have discovered, not even share an absolute...Only thing absolute about this thinking is that it comes from the Absolute Word of God.
I was reflecting the other day about manhood. Which then caused me to
consider womanhood, because that's a topic slightly more relevant to me
at this juncture. Both of these topics had me discovering truths that I
am thinking I had left un-excavated...and the lies were the founding
father's of daily life and thought.
"Be a Man." What does that mean? I mean, really? For American subculture, maybe even in Christian circles, it likely means a certain level of maturity, independence from parental control, macho-ism or athleticism, and financial stability or provision. And since the age of equality some women have emasculated and dis-enfranchised men from their true inner yearnings.
"I am woman, here me roar." What does that mean? I mean, really mean? In American subculture, it has high doses of equality, courage, fiestiness, and adventure. Since the beginning of time, many women have been taken advantage of, verbally abused/minimized, or ignored; and now live in fear of men altogether.
Many men feel inadequate if they don't live up to the performance norm. Some men react to this tendency and avoid it all together, living life in the "anti." Many women feel unloveable if they are unmarried or without children. Some women react to this and live life not ever feeling lovely, dainty, cherished, or prized because they are spending their energy on avoiding stereotypes.
I think gender roles have gotten confused, and I think there have been some lies that have permeated generations! Namely, that gender is our core identity. It's not. Yes, it's a function of life, it's a way to further biological life, but it is not who I am, nor who you are.
Our spiritual identities are the core things about us: we are either alive with Him (Galatians 2:20), or dead and separated from Him (Romans 5:6). That is Truth. Because of our followership of Christ, or lack there of, we are identified. We are, at the core: spiritual beings who have a soul that live in a body (male or female).
For those of us in Christ, we are Spiritually alive, perfect and in the process of continuous sanctification, until we are with Christ again.
It's fairly tragic though, that gender could be the thing that motivates us to explain, defend, define, or consider ourselves - we're missing the point. The Bible has much to say about our roles, that flow from our identities, and gender names aren't included much (that I have found so far - please correct me if I am wrong!).
We are co-heirs: Romans 8:12, Romans 8:17, Galatians 3:29, Ephesians 3:6, Titus 3:7, 1 Peter 3:7
We are righteous: Romans 5:19, Romans 6:18, Romans 8:10, 2 Timothy 4:8
We are chosen: 1 Peter 2:9,
We are holy: Ephesians 1:4
We are children of God, Children of Light (ephesians 5:8), Lavishly Loved (1 John 3:1), sheep, his flock, Christians, disciples, believers, salt of the earth, kingdom, lamb...
We are not first and foremost men or women. This world doesn't need MEN. We need men who are listeners and followers of God, spiritually alive with Him as Source. This world doesn't need WOMEN. We need women who are listeners and followers of God, spiritually alive with Him as Source.
1 Timothy 3, 1 Peter 5, Titus 2, 1 Peter 3, Ephesians 5...I don't see a whole lot in these sections about Man roles or Women roles...as it defines the person. I read about characteristics (deacon, overseer, older women, older men, mentors, submission, above reproach, respectable, not given to too much wine, able to teach, good reputation, manage a family, not gossipers...) that flow from a Grace-inspired man, or a Grace-inspired woman. They are active, yes....they are the responses, in obedience, to the intimate friendship between God and Man or Woman. These actions flow from relationship and from friendship! They are not the zenith. God is paramount, not gender. Spiritual identity is core, not gender. Gender isn't wrong or sinful, it was indeed uniquely created (Ephesians 2:10, Genesis 1:27, Genesis 1:1) as part of God's Sovereign plan.
I want truth, I don't want lies. I want truth, not assumptions or generational norms. I do not want my brothers, best friends, sisters, mentors, mentees, interns, friends, or acquaintances to live out of lies. I want truth for all. I don't know much else, I don't even know what to do with this...what this information means for us in society, but I do know what kinds of things to pray: that the things that have bound us up and hindered us in the past would now be broken because of the glory of Jesus Christ; that we'd each listen to the Father first, and that God's gracious gift of His Son Jesus would be known.
Hebrews 12:1-2 (AMP)
"THEREFORE
THEN, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses [who
have borne testimony to the Truth], let us strip off and throw aside
every encumbrance (unnecessary weight) and that sin which so readily
(deftly and cleverly) clings to and entangles us, and let us run with
patient endurance and steady and active persistence the appointed course
of the race that is set before us, Looking
away [from all that will distract] to Jesus, Who is the Leader and the
Source of our faith [giving the first incentive for our belief] and is
also its Finisher [bringing it to maturity and perfection]. He, for the
joy [of obtaining the prize] that was set before Him, endured the cross,
despising and ignoring the shame, and is now seated at the right hand
of the throne of God."
Acts 5:29 (AMP)
John 10:27 (AMP)
and I know them, and they follow Me."
No comments:
Post a Comment