"WEDDING DRESS"
DEREK WEBB
If you could love me as a wife
and for my wedding gift, your life
Should that be all I?d ever need
or is there more Im looking for
and should I read between the lines
and look for blessings in disguise
To make me handsome, rich, and wise
Is that really what you want
I am a whore I do confess
But I put you on just like a wedding dress
and I run down the aisle
and I run down the aisle
I'm a prodigal with no way home
but I put you on just like a ring of gold
and I run down the aisle to you
So could you love this bastard child
Though I don't trust you to provide
With one hand in a pot of gold
and with the other in your side
I am so easily satisfied
by the call of lovers so less wild
That I would take a little cash
Over your very flesh and blood
Because money cannot buy
a husband's jealous eye
When you have knowingly deceived his wife
Hosea
2:5-22
“For their
mother has played the harlot;
She who conceived them has acted shamefully.
For she said, ‘I will go after my lovers,
Who give me my bread and my
water,
My wool and my flax, my oil and my drink.’ “Therefore, behold, I will
hedge up her way with thorns,
And I will build a wall against her so that she
cannot find her paths.
“She will pursue her lovers, but she will not overtake
them;
And she will seek them, but will not find them.
Then she will
say, ‘I will go back to my first husband,
For it was better for me then than
now!’
“For she
does not know that it was I who gave her the grain, the new wine and the oil,
And lavished on her silver and gold,
Which they used for Baal. “Therefore, I will take back My grain at
harvest time
And My new wine in its season.
I will also take away My wool and
My flax
Given to cover her nakedness.
“And then I will uncover her
lewdness
In the sight of her lovers,
And no one will rescue her out of My
hand. “I will also put an end to all her
gaiety,
Her feasts, her new moons, her sabbaths
And all her festal
assemblies. “I will destroy her vines and fig trees,
Of which she said, ‘These
are my wages
Which my lovers have given me.’
And I will make them a forest,
And the beasts of the field will devour them. “I will punish her for the days
of the Baals
When she used to offer sacrifices to them
And adorn herself with
her earrings and jewelry,
And follow her lovers, so that she forgot Me,”
declares the LORD.
Restoration of
Israel
“Therefore, behold, I will allure her, Bring her
into the wilderness
And speak kindly to her.
“Then
I will give her her vineyards from there,
And
the valley of Achor as a door of hope.
And
she will sing there as in the days of her youth,
As
in the day when she came up from the land of Egypt.
“It
will come about in that day,” declares the LORD,
“That
you will call Me Ishi
And
will no longer call Me Baali.
“For I will remove the names of the Baals from
her mouth,
So
that they will be mentioned by their names no more.
“In
that day I will also make a covenant for them
With
the beasts of the field,
The
birds of the sky
And
the creeping things of the ground.
And
I will abolish the bow, the sword and war from the land,
And
will make them lie down in safety.
“I
will betroth you to Me forever;
Yes,
I will betroth you to Me in righteousness and in justice,
In
lovingkindness and in compassion,
And
I will betroth you to Me in faithfulness.
Then
you will know the LORD.
“It
will come about in that day that I will respond,” declares the LORD.
“I will
respond to the heavens, and they will respond to the earth, And the earth will
respond to the grain, to the new wine and to the oil,
And they will respond to
Jezreel.
Jesus provided a radical and unusual avenue for relationship: Grace.
No matter what we say and do, no matter how many steps we think we take away, no matter how long the separation we create between us and our Father; there is grace.
No matter how often we leave Him alone, disregard promptings, or alienate people; there is grace.
Grace = God did It.
God has left us alone without us, without our coping mechanisms, without our typical passages to life, like Gomer (above)...that leads us to brokenness. And that brokenness makes us aware that we have reached the end of ourselves and shifts our perspective back up to Grace.
I have been Gomer. I have not sold my body or given it away.
I have absolutely seen through the lens of self in such a way that I didn’t need anyone or anything[really because I was afraid and hiding]. “I did this thing, I made this thing happen….”
I have trusted self more than God [because I sensed that somehow with me, I was safe].
I have absolutely desired my needs to be met in wrong ways. I have been the judge about appropriate action in defining the needs, labeling the needs, and tempering the needs to fulfillment.
I have absolutely seen through the lens of self in such a way that I didn’t need anyone or anything[really because I was afraid and hiding]. “I did this thing, I made this thing happen….”
I have trusted self more than God [because I sensed that somehow with me, I was safe].
I have absolutely desired my needs to be met in wrong ways. I have been the judge about appropriate action in defining the needs, labeling the needs, and tempering the needs to fulfillment.
I have been Gomer. I have been a prodigal.
Because I have nowhere else to go, when I even feel like I am my own worst enemy, and there's no place better for me: I am running in a wedding dress down the aisle to my BrideGroom who is smiling and waiting for me there.
Because I have nowhere else to go, when I even feel like I am my own worst enemy, and there's no place better for me: I am running in a wedding dress down the aisle to my BrideGroom who is smiling and waiting for me there.
"For your Maker is your bridegroom,
his name, God-of-the-Angel-Armies!" Isaiah 54:5 (MSG)
No comments:
Post a Comment